Friday 24 October 2014

Gobbins Cliff Path


In 2010, I visited the peninsula of Islandmagee, in County Antrim.

I motored along the Antrim coast, parked at a lay-by, fetched my camera, and ambled down a track which leads to The Gobbins, the former cliff path built in 1902 as a tourist attraction.

The BBC has written an article here.

I didn't walk very far along the old path because I was on my own and, quite frankly, I am not particularly fond of heights; especially if they are precarious, as the ruinous Gobbins path presently is!


Further along the coast there is an intriguing derelict farmstead which, it could be supposed, is the Gobbins Farm named on the memorial obelisk to two First World War fallen soldiers nearby:
To the memory of Lance Corporal Walter Newell, 6th Battalion, Black Watch, who fell in action in France on the 13th July 1915. Erected by his friends with whom he spent many happy days at the Gobbins Farm.
And at its base:
Captain W V Edwards, Royal Dublin Fusiliers ...


The prospect of revisiting the newly-restored Gobbins path in 2015 generates excitement. 

Revised.  First published in July, 2010.

3 comments :

Gerry Snape said...

Great post. I love the photos. Thankyou.

Anonymous said...

I was there today !!!!!!! fantastic views and so peaceful, my Dad spent alot of time in Islandmagee as a boy and now I am goin to sprinkle his ashes at the Gobbins just at the waterfall.

Brian Curragh said...

Just a few details on the two commemorated on the obelisk - Walter NEWEL (one l) was the son of Henry A. Newel, of 362, Antrim Rd., Belfast while William Victor EDWARDS was the son of Mary Edwards, of The Laurels, Strandtown, Belfast, and the late Alfred Edwards. Details are from CWGC.org