Friday 29 March 2013

Richard Griffiths, 1947-2013

I am saddened to learn that the actor Richard Griffiths, OBE, has died, aged 65, after complications following heart surgery.

He starred in the Harry Potter movies and Withnail and I.

Mr Griffiths enjoyed a long career of success on film and on TV, but also on the stage where he was a Tony-winning character actor.

He was best known for playing Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films and Uncle Monty in Withnail and I.

TV roles included playing a cookery-loving detective in Pie in the Sky; a role I personally associate with him.

He was appointed an OBE in the 2008 New Year Honours.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

he once stopped in the middle of a West End play and berated someone whose mobile had gone off for the 2nd time, asking him to leave ! Bravo !!

Timothy Belmont said...

I salute him for that. If only more of us hadn't the fortitude to act in such a manner.