Thursday 26 April 2012

The Sensuous Barmaid!

I frequented the Lobster Pot, hereafter called the LP, a former restaurant and bar in Strangford, County Down, forty summers ago, till about 1998.

This notable establishment used to be one the finest in the county, during the sixties and seventies.

1976 was a vintage year for self and old school chums, including BP. We darkened the LP's doors from time to time, indulging in the superb fresh battered scampi and chips in the lounge bar. We took it in turn to drive our mothers' Mini cars.

Young Timothy Sydenham ( as I was then styled!) had a serious crush on one of the teenage waitresses, viz. Julie. Moreover, I sent her an anonymous Valentine's card, the envelope addressed to "Julie, the Sensuous Barmaid, c/o The Lobster Pot, the Square, Strangford, County Down."

I checked my spam mail the other day and noticed a message from "Julie". I opened it and, to my utter astonishment, it was from my heart-throb of thirty-six summers ago!

Thus the power of the Internet manifests itself, dear readers.

4 comments :

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! Julie is happily married and living in Belfast.

It was wonderful to make contact again, though.


Tim

Kenneth. said...

Excellent, I love happy endings.

Sensuous spinster just wouldn't be the same.

Anonymous said...

Fond memories of Lobster Pot until early 1990s . Was never same after Seamus and his dear wife.Things went rapidly downhill thereafter.

Susan said...

Memories of Lobster Pot!Thank you.How good times changed when Seamus and his dear wife left.