Saturday 18 June 2011

Scottish Rigoletto

I was at the opera this evening. Specifically a performance of Verdi's Rigoletto at Belfast's Grand Opera House.

My first port-o-call was the Piano Bar on the first floor of the Europa Hotel, where I had a quick restorative prior to the show.

At this time of year I'd normally have been at Castleward Opera, though this was impossible since funding for it was shamefully axed by whomsoever sat on the Arts Council of Northern Ireland two years ago. I expect they are proud of that.

This evening I had a good seat in the front row of the Dress Circle. Timothy Belmont had good company, too, viz. Lord and Lady Hutton beside me. We had a terrific chin-wag about Brackenber, London and Belgrave Square. I last saw Lord Hutton at the Old Brackenbrian annual dinner earlier this year.

Re the production: Opera purists may not have been entirely content, given that this production, by Scottish Opera, was a modern variation on the traditional, 16th century Mantua original. The cast were all dressed up in 20th century attire.

Still, despite that and the austere props, it was very well done. Indeed the cast received an ovation at the end which lasted for perhaps five minutes.

When I vacated the Opera House at Great Victoria Street I noticed Lord and Lady Trimble making their exit.

2 comments :

DAVID CAMPBELL said...

A former child and inhabitant of your fiefdom of East Belfast, now exiled in Scotland for many years, I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying having found your blog - it's truly excellent! Keep up the good work, my Lord.

Timothy Belmont said...

I am delighted to welcome you to the Earldom, David!

Many thanks for your kind words.

Tim