Monday 5 April 2010

2nd Fitting

David was with me today for a second fitting of my new suit. I collected him, as usual, from the central bus station in Belfast.

Frankly, I have had a relatively busy schedule today: arrangements and preparations for the Dowager to stay at a residential home while I'm away; and other domestic necessities to undertake. So David phoned me yesterday evening to inform that he'd be coming up to Belfast at lunchtime today. It was slightly inconvenient, though I "fitted him in".

The material of the new suit is akin to a charcoal grey and quite fine-textured. He had the three pieces with him: the trousers, waistcoat and jacket; all in bits and pieces, held together by thread and pins.

I suppose he must have spent about an hour or more with chalk, making fine adjustments here and there. The first thing I noticed about the trousers was that they had belt-loops, and I had indicated a month ago my preference for waist-expanders instead. I don't know whether he had forgotten but, when I asked about this, he told me politely that it could not be changed because he had not sufficient cloth remaining for belt-expanders.

I imagine it is not a huge deal, because the waistcoat covers the waist of the trousers anyway. Still. Another thing I noticed was that the "fly" had a zip, which I prefer; though I do have about three or four pairs of trousers with button flies, and perhaps I'd have liked the option! I have two pairs of Cordings corduroys with button flies; and an old pair of evening dress trousers likewise; and four pairs of vintage Levi denims and cords with button flies, too.

It's far to early to have a clear idea as to what the finished article will look like. The final fitting and delivery shall be during May.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Ah, belt loops are a particular bĂȘte noire of mine when it comes to suit trousers! I would've thought it would have been his natural inclination to leave them out, rather than put them on.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

Precisely. However, we shall see. He's a fraction of the price of Savile Row - a third - so there must be a short-coming here and there. If the overall fit and finish is VG, hopefully that will do the trick.

Watch this space... :-)

Anonymous said...

how has the finished piece turned out?

Timothy Belmont said...

Incredibly enough I haven't worn it yet! Not publicly, at least.

I have a few very slight reservations: I was told that pleats would be put on the trousers and this wasn't done. The material is fine - Holland & Sherry - though quite light, compared with the heavy worsted Oxford grey suit I own. There are no belt loops, which is fine. There is one label inside the jacket - Holland & Sherry. I was told that he'd run out of his own labels and would fit one the next time he was in Belfast. Well, not that I mind, I'm still waiting. If I were a proud tailor, I'd ensure that my name were attached to any garment of mine! Wouldn't you?

Still, it seems good though I'd like somebody else to be the judge of that.