Monday 31 August 2009

The Slug and Loafers

Anyone who noticed me cycling over to Botanic Boot and Shoe Repairs this morning must have considered me a loony; I was prepared, mind you. The weather was miserable. It started to rain and I had to alight on the Lagan walkway in order to don the leggings and Peter Storm. The new Brasher boots were christened today.

What is my primary motive in cycling? Exercise, pure and simple. Not any worthy or noble cause like saving the Planet. The old school re-opens tomorrow, so I hope to resume my 200 lengths-per-week discipline then, when I shall ease off the cycling.

The old shoes were like new: re-soled and ready for another ten years of misuse! I paid the shoe-mender the outstanding balance of eight pounds, having given him a £10 deposit one week ago. The shop fascia is traditional, with Botanic Boot & Shoe Repairs emblazoned in the middle; T Hughes at one side; and est. 1954 on the other.

The irony of wearing all those layers of protective clothing, for T Belmont, is that I invariably sweat like a pig! It might be better cycling the naturist way; perhaps not. I had to strip down to my under-pants when I arrived home, the effect of the cycle ride like being in a sauna.

About the slug: there was a small one crawling along our hall carpet this morning. Bizarre, that. I, most likely, brought it home with me yesterday on the sole of my shoe; I'd been to Gibb's Island. I used an empty Walker's Sensations crisp packet to scoop it up.

4 comments :

The Fat Builder said...

Such inspirational pectoral muscles! I think I might join a gym.

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! Comes with decades of habitual swimming, twice-weekly gym, the odd spot of cycling and extra-curricular activities!

I've just kept at it, literally, since I left school. I, too, enjoy fry-ups occasionally like the celebrated Ulster Fry!

I usually enjoy a Chinese or Fish & Chips every Sat., too.

Good to hear from you,

Tim

Anonymous said...

Distressed to learn you eat Walkers Sensation crisps, as indeed the slug might have been due to the saltiness.

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! What crisps do you recommend then?

Tim