Saturday 23 May 2009

Big Screen 2009

The Big Screen event, in conjunction with the Royal Opera House, BP and Belfast City Council takes place once again at the Botanic Gardens in Belfast on Wednesday, the 3rd June, 2009.

Ondine, also called Undine, is a ballet by Hans Werner Henze; and its première was at the Royal Opera House in 1958. To be truthful, neither Ondine nor Henze are familiar to me! I wonder if the music will be to my taste... has anyone else listened to, or seen, this ballet?

Personally I prefer opera; and generally well-known opera at that. Still, if the weather is clement (unlike the last few years), I may attend it as it is always a most agreeable event in the city. It's a touch irksome that glassware is banned - despite some revellers still being able to secrete it - although it is understandable as to the Council's motives for the ban.

The gates open at 5.15pm; the performance, relayed live from Covent Garden, starts at 7.30pm.

No comments :