Sunday 1 March 2009

A Night At The Opera

A large portion of Glengall Street, running alongside the opera house, was taken up by huge juggernauts last night, all belonging to Scottish Opera. They even had a lorry for their own orchestra. I'd arrived a little earlier in order to have a pre-theatre aperitif in the first-floor lounge bar of the Europa Hotel.

I'd considered having a meal at Deane's or elsewhere prior to the opera; however, I didn't bother in the end.

The bar was just as I liked it: warm, quiet, a good choice of seating and an agreeable ambiance. It's much better to spend awhile here than that ghastly, modern, claustrophobic carbuncle extension attached to the Grand Opera House.

At five past seven I finished my drink and made directly for my seat - A21 - in the dress circle. As is my custom, I shunned the carbuncle and entered the original splendour of the opera house, up the old stairs to the first floor. We had a full house this evening; even the gallery slips were filled.

It always feels such an occasion to be at the Grand Opera House with its sumptuous, lavish interior; the ethereal ceiling with its frescoes gazing down at us; the gilded plasterwork and red velour seating. It must surely rank among the most beautiful theatres in the British Isles, if not Europe.

Scottish Opera's production of the tragic grand opera, La Traviata, was absolutely stunning. What more can I say? The performance was superb, including that of the orchestra. The applause and cheering at final curtain was one of the longest I'd seen for many years; it must have lasted for over five minutes at least. They'll be back! Such acclaim is irresistible.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

I enjoy the first floor lounge bar at the Europa Hotel, too. Regularly use it as a meeting venue for an afternoon cuppa with lighter conversations. One of Belfast's better secrets!

Timothy Belmont said...

I think a lot of people don't realize what it's like now; perhaps they think of it the way it was a decade ago!

Tim