Sunday 28 December 2008

Walk From College Green To Mount Pleasant

I parked at College Green today, adjacent to College Green House. The Union Theological College, established in 1853, takes up the other side of this street; and it may well be surpassed by the giant Queen's Library block nearing completion.

I ambled along Rugby Road, admiring the largely unspoiled terraces and a number of detached houses too. The ones beside Botanic Gardens enjoy long gardens to the rear, as can be seen from the park.

Botanic Gardens was quiet today, unsurprisingly. I left the park at the Stranmillis Road exit and strolled up the road. Café Conor, directly opposite the Ulster Museum, had a few customers. The museum, enveloped in high hoarding, showed no indication of re-opening any time soon.

Eventually I came to one of my favourite Belfast addresses: Mount Pleasant (right). St Bartholomew's Church sits immediately to the right. I admire Mount Pleasant's layout, with the residents' gardens occupying a sort of island in the middle. It all seems so secluded, private and quite exclusive, in a way.

Leaving Mount Pleasant, I crossed the road and headed towards Colenso Parade, which ends at a Botanic Gardens' side-entrance. Looking across the park, the substantial, new Queen's Library (left) overshadows the entire north-east side of Botanic Gardens.

So that ended another agreeable little walk.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hello Timothy. I came across your blog while searching for a picture of 2 Mount Pleasant, Belfast, which is where grandfather grew up. So thank you for th ephoti and for the description of the street. My gradfather was one of six kids and his father was headmaster of the Government School of Art in Belfast. This was in the late 19th century ie the 1880s and 1890s.

Timothy Belmont said...

The pleasure is all mine, believe me. If you like, I could possibly revisit Mount Pleasant and photograph Number Two in the summer?

Tim

Timothy Belmont said...

I'd be interested if you knew where the school of art was located in the 19th century? I could check the address and photograph it, too.

Tim