Saturday 9 August 2008

Central Heating: Head Of Steam

I am glad to recount that practically all the remaining problems appear to have been resolved with our new central heating system. A squad of them called yesterday to fix the garage roof where the new flue protrudes; to install skirting in the dining-room; to correct the piping at the hot towel-rail in the bathroom and renew a plastic pipe in the loft.

The plumber turned on the heating yesterday at lunchtime to test the system. This turned out to have caused another problem - after they'd gone, of course. The heating remained on full and, although the timer said off, the boiler ignored this and carried on regardless. That evening I decided to turn it all off at the main power switch in the boiler-house.

I tried it again this morning: still the same problem. When I returned from Minnowburn, I phoned one of their plumbers who advised me to go to the hot-press, check under two, white boxes and ensure that the metal levers were at automatic. They weren't: they were at manual; so the plumber had not reset the levers the other day.

What a relief; problem resolved. All is cooling down now, including me!

That just leaves the matter of the invoice I expect to receive from our burglar alarm company for the call-out to reset the tamper light which the electrician accidentally hit. I'll send the contractor the invoice and let ADT know what I've done. I'll send it recorded delivery.

No comments :