Sunday 20 July 2008

Traditional Ulster Cooking At Its Best

Yet again, following a Sunday drive in a southerly direction along the County Down coast terminating at Donaghadee, we ended up at a favourite cafeteria: the Donaghadee Garden Centre café. I never cease to enjoy a meal at this place. It's the traditional Ulster home cooking using wholesome, fresh ingredients which does it.

Today we had cream of mushroom soup with a fresh roll; a sumptuous portion of chicken & ham pie with creamed potato, peas and mashed carrot and parsnip. Pudding was massive: lemon meringue pie with whipped cream.

One minor quibble: the helping of dessert was simply too large for me - I couldn't finish half of it. I'd hoped that the Dowager would be able to share it with me; however, this was not to be. I had to leave half of it, which was a shame and irked me somewhat. In future I'll be particularly careful when ordering. I wonder if they serve children's portions?

The chicken pie with vegetables was £6.95; the soup £3.95; lemon meringue & cream £3.50; and a beverage £1.60.

No comments :